Pair of lamps in lilac porcelain of Paris, circa 1880
Pair of lamps in lilac colored Paris porcelain standing on a piedouche shape base mounted in gilt bronze. The upper part of the vase is decorated with a white background frieze with a flowery branch on the center and framed with gilt mantlings.
Round chiseled and gilt bronze mount, torus shape.
Work made circa 1880.
New and functional electric system.
Dimensions : H 78 x D 17 cm.
Reference : LS2200831
! The price doesn’t include the lampshade price. However, our workshop can advise you with pleasure and realize it with your size and color choices !
With the discovery of kaolin in Saint-Yrieix in 1768, the manufacture of porcelain augmented in Paris with the creation of many manufactures of hard porcelain. They were put under the patronage of princely personalities as the Count of Provence for the Clignancourt manufacture or the queen Marie-Antoinette for the manufacture of the rue Thiroux and were put under the name “Porcelain de Paris”.
At the 18th century, the manufacture of this porcelain was developed in three categories: table pieces, toilet objects and ornament items; in a stylistic evolution which temporally adapted to new tendencies of decorative arts.
The floral decor dominated the production of the porcelain de Paris, sometimes mixed with fruits and foliage swags. Then, more and more, the subjects were diversified with animals, characters, landscapes, chinoiseries… Coloured backgrounds were sometimes edged with a gilt frieze or were used to highlight a polychrome decor. At last, two other processes were widely used and had a great success: shades and gilt.
If the characteristically decor of the first third of the 19th century was the gilt decor on a coloured background on the must rich pieces or fully gilt doubled (interior and exterior of the item), the mid and last century production was industrialized and particularly liked the copy of ancient styles, often mixed between them.
At the same time, if at the beginning of the 19thcentury, manufactures of the porcelain de Paris were very flourishing, from 1820 their number decreased and many provincial manufactures depots were put under the term “porcelain de Paris”. Indeed, the pieces, manufactured in province, were often decorated in Paris, permitting to save this name despite the increase of the production.
A certain confusion is possible ; indeed it also exists an eponymous manufacture named Manufacture of the Porcelain de Paris founded in 1829 by Jean-Marx Clauss. It had a similar production with stylistic evolutions as the general production of the porcelain de Paris and today yet exists, while its activity is now turned to porcelain watchmaking and jewellery.
R. de Plinval de Guillebon, Faïence et porcelaine de Paris. XVIIIe -XIXe, 1995, Editions Faton
Contact devis transport / delivery costs :
Telephone / By Phone : +33(0)6 08 78 43 37